Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Just Another Boring Day On the Farm...

Monday morning I was in our library sending an email, when I glanced out the window, and, weeellll... 





Yeeeep, last week we had burned a small pile of trash, and thought it was all extinguished, but apparently the wind ignited some sparks, and next thing you know we had Mordor in our back yard...just a few yards from our new house.




My brothers and I ran out with our one puny water hose and several buckets to try to contain the disaster as best we could until the volunteer fire department got there.  Thankfully the wind was blowing away from our house or else we would have had a MUCH more serious problem on our hands.  Our dog, Lottie, followed me all through the inferno like a good guard dog, and when we moved back to the house to make way for the V.F.D., she started jumping all over me, as if to say "WE MADE IT! WE SURVIVED!"




After the fire was contained, things calmed down....until my brother stopped by a friend's house and was attacked by their two dogs.  He wasn't hurt too badly (they tore his jeans, bruised and scraped his shoulder, and left a pretty deep gash in his leg), but mom and dad took him to a clinic to get checked out to be safe.  And people think we have a boring life, devoid of excitement.  I wish. =)

On the bright side, everywhere the fire burned is now well fertilized, all the brush I didn't like is gone, Mom was able to pick up some treats for Mardi Gras since she was already in town, and I got to add "Fire Fighting" to my list of things that you can do in a long skirt.  

I hope you all have a very blessed and penitential Lent...and I hope mine will be very calm, boring, and uneventful =p.

No comments: